Connect with us


More Than a Game Part I: When the Italy-bound USMNT met their match in Bucks County



This is the first part of a four-part series about the night the USMNT played the United German Hungarians in Oakford, Pa. in a tune-up for the 1990 World Cup. Read Part II, Part IIIPart IV.

Thirty-nine days before the U.S. National Team’s 1990 World Cup opener against Czechoslovakia, Eric Wynalda scored a half-volley in the seventy-fifth minute to lead the U.S. to a 1-0 victory over the United German Hungarians in a friendly in Oakford, Pa.

Many outsiders at the time found it disturbing that a World Cup qualifier nudged past a local Philadelphia amateur team. The U.S. had Tony Meola, Tab Ramos, Bruce Murray, and Wynalda, all destined to become national soccer icons. But UGH were no ordinary amateur side, and had the U.S. possessed a viable professional league, many of their players could have been wearing white on that hot May night in Oakford, Pennsylvania. And if John Doyle hadn’t dove across the goal to head Mike Serban’s floater off the goal line in the 58th minute, UGH may have done more than just represent the Philly area.

Bob Wilkinson, the current head men’s soccer coach at Moravian College was captain and center back for a UGH team that hadn’t been beaten in 26 games. Running away with the United Soccer League title, UGH also won the EPSA State Amateur and Open Cups and were in the middle of a grueling late spring competing in two regional cup competitions.

“It was an honor to play,” Bob said. “We knew we’d perform well.”

Bob, an Archbishop Wood grad, had been a three-time Soccer 7 All-Star at La Salle where he played for his dad, Bill Sr., who coached the program from 1969 to 1975 and again from 1977 to 1986. “Back then, there wasn’t much soccer on TV, so it wasn’t like we saw these guys all the time. There was a little, wow, there’s Caligiuri running an overlap, the guy who scored ‘The Shot Heard Round The World.’“

Bob Wilkinson / Credit: Moravian Athletics

During the warm-up when Meola and David Vanole played catch from sideline to sideline, he realized the game would be unlike any other he’d played before. The U.S. were less than two weeks away from finalizing their roster and about to begin a series of warm-up games that included Malta in Piscataway, Poland in Hershey, and Ajax in Washington, D.C. Peter Vermes, the local star from Delran, N.J., and the only U.S. player in a top European league at the time was concluding his club season in Holland with Vollendam. John Harkes also did not play. But the U.S. ran out eight of the eleven who started against Czechoslovakia, including Ramos, Meola, Caligiuiri, Murray, Desmond Armstrong, and captain Mike Windischmann.

UGH had always been a club with a strong tradition of great players since its founding as Banater Maennerchor in 1910 after the German ethnic region in Hungary. Jack Dunn played for the U.S in the 1952 Olympics, Arthur Jethon the 1963 Pan-Am Games, Werner Fricker the 1964 Olympics, and Otto Brand the 1967 Pan-Am Games. Fricker captained the 1965 team that defeated St. Ambrose of St. Louis 6-0 to win the club’s first National Amateur Cup, which sparked a period of success. In 1971, UGH lost the National Amateur Cup final 6-5 in overtime against the Chicago Kickers. The 1977 team lost in both the National Amateur and Open Cup finals. The ’77 team included two of Walt Bahr’s sons, Chris a Penn State All-American who played for the Philadelphia Atoms and won two Super Bowls as a kicker, and Casey, an All-American at Navy who played in the 1972 Olympics.

By the mid 1980s, UGH had been caught in a transitional period with an aging core and youth beginning college careers. When the U.S. Soccer Federation elected Werner Fricker as President in 1984, he made his top priority strengthening the national team. But he realized he needed to model the same approach with his own club, so he and his son, Werner Jr., brought Bill Wilkinson Sr. back in 1987 to revamp the men’s program. UGH restored the clubhouse field, adding lights, and updated the locker rooms to create a more professional environment. And Wilkinson knew his former La Salle players would establish a new core capable of competing in the immediate future.

UGH team photo circa 1989: Standing L to R: Bill Wilkinson Jr., Joe Rudy, Tom Bowman, Jim McCourt, Steve Friend, Jim Boyer, Mike Connors, Vince McGlynn, John Reynard Bottom L to R: Neil Smart, Steve Rammel, Matt Manino, Paul Zimmerman, Bob Wilkinson, Paul Centofanti, Mike Serban, Steve Wink, Mike Curley

“We had about thirty to forty guys at every practice,” Bill Wilkinson Jr. said. Bill Jr. also played for his dad at La Salle and at UGH and joined the staff in 1987. “And it was competitive. If you missed training or didn’t perform well, you didn’t play.” UGH trained outside throughout the winter, sometimes on the club’s shoveled parking lot. In ’90 when they began their cup runs in March, they’d already been outside training for six weeks. “The culture was built to do these things,” Bill Jr. said.

Despite an intense spring of training and competition, UGH still found themselves on their heels against the U.S. “We survived the first twenty minutes,” Bob said. “Chris Henderson hit the crossbar twice and Jeff Zimmerman made a couple of big saves. It could have been 4-0.” During the second twenty minutes, the game came to UGH, and they were able to advance the ball up the field and gain possession.

“Desmond Armstrong was so good,” Bill Jr. said. “We couldn’t get by him. But he stayed home and didn’t attack much, so we were able to hold the ball in front of him.” As UGH became more involved in the game, frustration mounted on the other side. “Jim McCourt and Mike Connors had big speed. They couldn’t run by us, especially Henderson. We were fit.”

Several entanglements involving Tab Ramos escalated the game beyond a friendly. “Tab always played on the edge, at a high intensity,” Bob said. “It’s why he was so good.” Late in the first half, Ramos mixed it up with Pat O’Donnell on the ground and when tempers lingered, Ramos elbowed him in the back of the head. When Jim Boyer contacted Meola while challenging for a ball in the box, Meola shoved Boyle, which started a mini scuffle.

Play in the second half went back and forth, growing chippier as the score remained tied. Bob caught Ramos from behind on one challenge. “The crowd started yelling at me,” he said, surprised by the home response. “It would have been a card today. You got away with that stuff back then.”

John Doyle raced over and yelled, “What are you doing?” Don’t you know we have to go to Italy?”

Though the U.S. had their sights on Florence, UGH had a regional game in Massachusetts that weekend then a game against Malta. Soon after, Bob went in for a challenge with Doyle, who came in hard with two feet and showed no signs of backing down. “I couldn’t bail,” Bob said, taking the brunt of the challenge.

Afterwards, he yelled back at Doyle, “What are you doing? Don’t you know we have to go to Boston?”

Greg Oldfield is a teacher, coach, and writer from the Philadelphia area. His fiction and nonfiction have been published in Barrelhouse, Maudlin House, Carve, and the Under Review, among others. He also writes for the Florida Cup and Florida Citrus Sports. In 2023, he received an award for Best Column from the United Soccer Coaches for his story "A Philadelphia Soccer Hollywood Story." His work can also be found at

Copyright © 2023 Philadelphia Soccer Now and Brotherly Game

Be the First to Know When Philadelphia Soccer News Happens!

Sign-up now to get all of our stories sent directly to your inbox, as soon as they're published.

Thank you for subscribing.

Something went wrong.